Sunday, January 23, 2011

Anaheim Pepper Mirch Masala

Jan 22nd 2011


I feel kinda sad when I am posting this recipe because it reminds me that I no longer spend time looking at other blogs and all the interesting dishes being tried out. Family and work seem to consume more time than usual leaving me much less time to spend on hobbies and what I consider luxuries :) But again, I will resume someday, until then..peace.


When I first saw the recipe for this dish, it was the photo that enticed me to try it out. And additionally my husband can tolerate a lot more spice than I can. Hence I wanted to give this a try. But I knew starting out that I was not going to use green chillies. Instead I settled with Anaheim Peppers which are spicy but still not as much as the green chillies themselves.

I ate these with chappatis but they would go well with plain white rice too. This tasted very good and is a nice option as a side-dish. Just be sure to have some water handy :)


Difficulty level : Medium


Time: 10 min ( Prep Time), 30 min ( Cooking Time)

Ingredients

    • Anaheim Peppers: 5 to 6 nos (cut in cubes)
    • Mustard seeds (1 tsp)
    • Cumin seeds (1 tsp)
    • Fenugreek seeds (1/2 tsp)
    • Onion  1 to 1 1/2 (finely chopped)
    • Turmeric powder (1/2 tsp)
    • Ginger garlic paste (tbsp)
    • Red chilli powder ( 1 to 1/2 tsp)
    • Coriander powder (1/2 tsp)
    • Cumin powder (1/2 tsp)
    • Yogurt (1/2 cup)
    • Tamarind paste (1 tsp)
    • Salt (to taste)

    Roast and grind
    • Cinnamon 1 or 2 strips
    • Cloves- 2 nos
    • Red chillies - 4 nos
    • Coriander seeds (2 tbsp)
    • Peanuts (2 tbsp)
    • Sesme seeds (2 tbsp)
    • Coconut (2 tbsp)
    • Oil (2 tbsp)
    Method de Preparation
    1. Take little bit of oil in a pan, take all the ingredients in roast and grind and do just that - roast slightly and then grind when cooled. Keep aside.
    2. Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds followed by cumin seeds, fenugrek seeds, ginger garlic paste and onions.
    3. Fry the onions till they become translucent and add the anaheim peppers.
    4. Saute for a few minutes and then add turmeric powder followed by red chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder.
    5. Fry it for 2 minutes and add about 1/3 cup water.
    6. Add the yogurt and the ground paste and finally the tamarind paste.
    7. Add some more water (1/3 cup) and allow it to boil for 10 -15 minutes. Do the pinch and squeeze method to check that the anaheim peppers are cooked. Turn off heat
    8. Serve hot with chappathis or rice.
    Source :  From Arthi on  Spicy Tasty



    3 comments:

    Priya Suresh said...

    Yumm, delicious anaheim pepper masala..looks sooo thick and yummy..

    MaySan said...

    Anu, try replacing the pepper with eggplant, that would be great too and not as spicy, I can see K having a happy meal with the replacement ;)

    Anu Karthik said...

    @ priya: gracias :)
    @ mayur: will do I think he will for sure :)

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts with Thumbnails